Friday, August 12, 2011

The Magic of the African Drum

The African drum is nearly as iconic as every other symbol relating to this continent such as lions, bright colors, Victoria Falls, and rolling savannah's. Unlike the others, the drum is a symbol of community, expression, and worship.

Last night after an evening rain, the clouds settled low in the atmosphere but the moon still shinned through. It was one of those eery but mythical and beautiful nights with crisp, damp air indicating one should expect something to happen. Through the haze of it all came the very distinct, riveting sound - bum da dum bum, bum, which could only be one thing: the African drum. Seconds later melodic voices joined in. It is very captivating and one that gives a person pause, even goose-bumps.

I was immediately drawn to my window in hopes I could just catch a glimpse of Congolese culture at its finest. The Congolese are known all over Africa for creating the best music and being exceptional dancers. Unfortunately through the haze of the night, I was not able to see the gathering. I stood behind my window for many minutes coveting those who were fortunate to be in the midst of such beauty. There was a war going on inside of me: I didn't want to step outside of my comfort zone and join them but at the same time I felt like a prisoner trapping myself. I so badly wanted to be a participant and not just an auditory observer behind a window. I tried going to bed but the music was too compelling.

After restlessly bouncing between my bed and my window for over 20mins, I finally saw one of my colleagues and a guard making their way towards the music. I rushed to join them. Through the fog and the shadows of the moon we made our way towards a group of 30 teenagers dancing and singing. We timidly joined them in an effort to not disrupt or take their attention away from the very thing that was captivating us. We received a few questioning glaces of why these two white girls in their pajamas were inquisitively standing by but thankfully it didn't create too much of a disruption.

Their energy is so contagious you can't help but have the biggest smile on your face and get wrapped up in this special moment. Standing there in the middle of a random field with 30 people I don't even know clapping and dancing under the always beautiful African heavens, all I could think was how blessed I was. How was I lucky enough to be in this particular moment at this place in time? It was a euphoric moment when senses collided and joy was created and experienced in entirety.

All too soon we reluctantly turned to go knowing that we could never return back to that moment but at the same time hopeful it can be recreated again. By the time we reached the gate, silence settled and the chanting ceased. I can't help but wonder if the musicians and dancers were gracious enough to extend their performance allowing two worlds to collide into one for a few precious seconds, which only the African drum could facilitate.

1 comment: