Tuesday, June 14, 2011

DR C0NG0: No expectations. No first impressions

Ever since the very beginning of this new adventure, I decided I was intentionally not going to have any expectations or first impressions. I have learned from past experience that both of these can create un-do stress, misconceptions, and false filters with which I perceive life around me all requiring significant time and energy to get back on the right path. So far this new mindset is working well.

This past week I was at Medair’s HQ office outside of Geneva, Switzerland. One of the perks in working for a non-US based organization is that I get to travel to new places. My time at HQ was exactly what I needed to be mentally ready for the months ahead. In addition, I saw friends that I met while in Switzerland in March which made this recent visit that much more memorable.

Sunday night I arrived in Uganda and spent the night just to return back to the airport the following day in order to catch a flight to Bunia, DRC. While in Entebbe (Uganda) airport, I realized I am in a different sort of Africa than I have been before. I guess you could say that I am in the stereotypical Africa, if there even is one, portrayed by the media to the western world: hot all the time, high traffic of the United Nations (UN) military forces, big, dangerous snakes (which I haven’t seen yet and hope to keep that way), and most importantly beautiful people.

On Monday I took a flight from Uganda to Bunia. The only people who fly to Bunia are the UN, ECHO (European project funders), black listed airlines, and MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship). I took a 10 seater MAF flight all the while trying to disengage my imagination and not think of what could happen. Regardless it was a beautiful journey across Uganda, Lake Albert, and the far east mountains and jungle of Congo.

Void of expectations and first impressions, God has filled me with overwhelming peace. Upon arrival in Africa and a place I have never been before, I had this feeling of familiarity, right-ness, and a sense of home. Sometimes this is hard for me to accept that I consider a place so far away from those I love to be home and right, but I cannot deny it is anything less.

Waking up to my first morning in this new country, I prayed that God would lead me to read something he wanted me to hear in the Bible. Way out of left field I got the impression to read Exodus 4. I am usually a New Testament kind of person so I almost dismissed the impression but remembering my petition I turned to find the passage about God telling Moses to return to Egypt and speak to the people. Moses expressed trepidation in his abilities, especially his language ones. As this afternoon is my first French lesson, I can relate. However, this ancient story gave me hope that I too might be successful in my speaking endeavors.

So cheers to a new adventure, a new language, and new people. No expectations. No first impressions.

3 comments:

  1. Good to read that it feels so 'right' to be there for you, (and nicely written). Hope you settle in really well and it soon becomes home from home. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping those of us stuck in the US updated - I look forward to reading more about how your time in DRC goes.

    ReplyDelete