Wednesday, February 23, 2011

God be with you!

I wish I had words to ease the ache in my own heart and what feels like a slow, painful separation from those I have come to love here in Madagascar. On one hand, I want next Tuesday to come as soon as possible in order to move onto the next step and get all of these ‘good-byes’ over with. On the other hand, I want this week to go slowly so then those ‘good-byes’ are not realized.

The last few days I have spent in the office wrapping up final projects, cleaning out my desk, and pretty much just being present. It has allowed time for much reflection and each day I find myself withdrawing more and more. I suppose it is a defense mechanism, bracing myself for the ultimate severing of ties.

If there is one word I hate, it is ‘good-bye.’ It has this harsh finality to it and once uttered there is an automatic emotional detachment. Perhaps I hate good-byes because I have done them so much the past few years. They never get easier, possibly even harder. I wish there was a way to pass through the pain of saying good-bye but then that would be denying something special once existed.

Over the past six months, there have been times when I thought this moment would never arrive. I have gone through my share of highs and lows during this period of time. Nevertheless there has been one constant, amazing people surrounding me brightening my life.
Since January, I have been riding the climax of all the time, energy, and emotions I have put into my experience here. It has been the last eight weeks that the intimacy of the relationships I have had here has come to fruition. I have come to appreciate, know, and love the people more fully and I think they in return also.

Moments like this it is so easy to question God ‘why.’ Why did He call me to a work that requires frequent separation? Why are we still on this earth experiencing broken relationships? Why can’t there be a guarantee that I will see these people again and when I do it will feel just as normal and beautiful as it does right now?

Regardless, I am blessed to know the pain of my heart torn into fragments because it also means I have also known intense joy. It would be even more painful to leave Madagascar and not feel any emotion at all.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the origin of the word good-bye. It originally was ‘God be with you.’ I think I like this version better because it does not represent something broken but rather a wish for the person you are separating from. I have so many wishes for my friends here: I wish them the greatest success and happiness; I wish them to appreciate their lives, culture, and community even though there are many challenges; and ultimately, I wish to meet again someday.

So Madagascar -- God be with you!

3 comments:

  1. I like it phrased "Until we meet again". ") Good thoughts. Home is waiting ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. so insightful! whether you believe it or not you are blessed to feel so deeply. you know true joy and love as well as pain and sadness. your life is rich and meaningful because you give yourself to your experiences. very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete