Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Recap

I can honestly say that 2010 has been one of the best years of my twenty-three years thus far. I can look back over the past twelve months without regrets and be proud of what I have achieved and where I am today geographically, spiritually, and emotionally. 2010 has undoubtedly been a year with extreme highs and lows. In the midst of the hard times, I have seen answered prayers, personal growth, and the testing of faith resulting in perseverance.

Ever since January 2010, I have made a conscious effort to find the joy in my suffering. I must admit that this is one of the greatest challenges I have ever placed upon myself but the one that has taught me unforgettable lessons drawing me closer to God as a result. January never really seems to be my month as my past dictates bad things always happen and January 2010 was no exception. Regardless of the events that took place, months later I can see how those experiences challenged me to be a different person and offered blessings I never imagined.

February through May presented challenges of their own as I was working on my masters degree and trying to determine where to go on field semester. These were stressful months but I am so grateful for them. While in graduate school at Eastern, I met some of the most amazing people in my life and during this time we shared our dreams, trials, aspirations, worldviews, and heart aches together creating special bonds. Whether they knew it or not, this group taught me how to be a better Christian, offered support and healing through relationships, community, and solidarity. Even though these months were trying, I had an amazing support group and formed life-long friendships.

June 2, 2010 was one of the best days of my life and the highlight of this year with the birth of my niece Jocelyn Hope. I will never forget the first time I met her in the hospital- so tiny and helpless. It was the first time I have experienced love at first sight, which is one of the most overwhelming feelings I can ever imagine knowing. More frequently than I expected my arms ache to hold this baby, which captured my heart at first glimpse.

July – August were special months spent with friends, family, and myself. I was no longer in classes and just waiting to go overseas so I had quality time to think, pray, and ponder the road behind and before me. In four weeks I stayed at five different residences. I am very appreciative of my hosts hospitality and generosity; however, I became strikingly aware of my nomadic lifestyle igniting my desire for a semi-permanent location all the while being challenged to accept that my true home is not on this earth and no matter where I lay my head at night, home is in my heart.

From the end of August to November I was stretched beyond what I thought was possible. I arrived in Madagascar August 25th: only the beginning of what I thought was already eight months packed of overcome obstacles and personal growth. I was shocked by how un-prepared I felt considering my previous international experiences and academic background. I learned so much about life, God, the development field, and myself and was daily forced out of my comfort zone. Most astonishing to me is how much human beings, myself most of all, underestimate what we are capable of until we go through the fire. I am so glad these months are behind me but I can look back and see how vital they were for my future.

Along with December 2010 can a long awaited trip to Kenya. It was filled of laughter, meditation, re-connected and reconciled relationships, and a break from life I didn’t realized how badly I needed until it was upon me. Kenya feels the most like home on this side of the world and I truly appreciate my family there who always welcome me with open arms and generous hearts.

So it is with bittersweet feelings that I close 2010; however, I am looking forward to another beginning: good and bad included. My life is still as uncertain as it always seems to be. However, I have 2010 as an example of unexpected blessings and answered prayers giving me hope for 2011.

2 comments:

  1. a very full year. i'm sure 2011 will have many more adventures--and i hope it brings you stateside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Kristie! What a great 2010 and one you'll always remember. Missing you SO much, hope I see you in 2011!!! xo

    ReplyDelete