Monday, September 27, 2010

This moment: joy and community!

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven;
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time time to tare and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."

I have been doing a lot of contemplative mental exercises lately. There have been many times in the past when I have wondered why I am where I am or why are certain events taking place in my life. And the question that surpasses them all is what I am supposed to learn from this? I have been asking that last question a lot lately. I have received a few answers so far: have joy and learn about community.

I would have to say that I have been on a quest for the past few months trying to understand and appreciating joy regardless of the circumstances. I can honestly say that it has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences. I have mentioned to a few people lately that I am very future focused and have had a conviction lately to focus on today and have joy in it, whatever it may be. I am reminded by the Old Testament Wise Man that this moment is intentional whether if be silence, mending, loving, healing, building, weeping, planting, or dying and will soon fade into something else. So I invite you along on this challenge I find myself in-- take this time to find joy because in an instant this moment will be gone and with it opportunities to grow, receive comfort, or be a blessing to those around you. Persevere!

Onto my other answer: community. My co-worker, Faly, challenged me today in this area. He said that he noticed this past weekend at church that I am very adaptable. And confidently he assured me that "since you are so adaptable, you can't be lonely!" Initially, I wanted to argue with him and refute his statement. Instead I bit my tongue and took it as a complement and challenge that I shouldn't allow myself to be lonely -- I am adaptable.

Regardless of Faly's statement, you might be thinking that it is challenging to find a sense of community and belonging in Madagascar -- which would be correct! The cultural differences, language barriers, color of my skin, and automatic labels that come with 'American' pose automatic obstacles in seeking community. So community building really isn't going in my favor. I am, however, finding creative ways to make this happen. According to dictionary.com, along with the normal definitions of community, it can also be defined as a group a people sharing common interests, occupation, social or religious interests, similar character and enjoyment. Volia! I have community with the local church, my co-workers, the guys I play basketball with, or the random person on the street who also cares about things that I do such as poverty, human rights, peace, and equality. The definition doesn't mention that communities must speak the same language, have the same skin color, share the same DNA or nationality.

So I am learning to merely enjoy listening to songs and prayers I don't understand; experiencing rushing endorphins together with 'the guys' while on the court getting broken fingers from sloppy passes; helping the security guard, Manana, speak English; or exchanging a smile with the women who sells me eggs knowing that we both care and support the welfare of her family through her work and my investment. No, it's not easy. And no, it's not the same as the community I would have in my home country. But I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, just different. I am trying to embrace this moment of speaking Malagasy blunders, laughing at my cultural faux pas, receiving encouragement from the prayers of the saints in this land, and silently listening to the beauty of a different life all in the name of community.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, reading your blog is just what I need to lift my spirits and encourage me to keep going! I get lonely here a lot, especially on the weekends, but God has used you to show me that loneliness is just a state of mind, and I can always find something to fill my time. I miss you! So proud of you and your intuitiveness and the discoveries you are making! Keep writing - you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete