Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Inspired and challenged!


I have to admit, remembering and pronouncing people's names here is proving to be one of my biggest challenges. For example, one of my co-workers names is Dauliviet Randrianasoiomahairatra. So you should probably get used to me not knowing people's names around here!

I went out into the field today with one of my co-workers, Faly (for short), who is the head of the agricultural and infrastructure department at ADRA. One of our last stops was to visit some people who were building a road for our FFW (food for work) program. While we were there, we were told of this man whose name I do not know - big surprise; so lets call him Enoch, because he looked wise and peaceful like I would imagine an Enoch being. We were told Enoch was not working today because he has a swollen knee so we traveled over hill and dale, well more like crater and boulder, to meet this man in-person. I think my life will forever be impacted by the brief moments we spent with him.

Enoch has been crippled from birth. If you can tell in this picture, he has shoes on his knees and walks as if he is kneeling. This is due to the fact that his feet, which are useless, are directly connected to his knees. And his hands are also deformed. The few fingers he has seem to be connected to each other and never separated into their own phalanges.

While all of this might seem awful, which it is, Enoch's determination and drive blows my mind. This man 'walks' 2.5hrs one way every day to the construction site and then does manual labor there all day in order to obtain food for his family. I was surprised to hear that he was married and had children since other African countries I have worked in, handicapped people are ostracized from the community and spend their lives on the streets. But not Enoch!

While talking to this man, I was imagining his life as my own. Would I do what he does? Enoch demonstrated to me that we all have challenges that can either break us down or be overcome. His life displayed to me the sense of responsibility he has to care for his family and contribute to his community no matter what physical state he is in. He does not expect to be served but is the one who serves. When asked what his family will do once this road is complete and they will no longer be receiving food, he said that they will have to plant rice fields and hope to invest in some livestock. In my eyes, this man has achieved so much more than anyone I have ever known; a life of dignity, humility, service, acceptance, and determination despite insurmountable obstacles. If only I could posses a fraction of this man's character...

3 comments:

  1. that's incredible! what a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes my day seem not so bad. what a great man! remember why you are there Kristie- people like us far far away in our comfortable lives need to be reminded that others around the world suffer much greater than we do, AND can still find ways to smile. you're lovely and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, girl, that is powerful. It really makes you think. He's a hero, and doesn't even know it. Soak in those moments. They'll change you. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete